Wandering GeorgeTown


Where do I start? GeorgeTown is this  little wonderful place based in an island called Penang. the place itself has so much to offer in so many levels such as its unique street art, fabulous cuisine and heady mix of history and cultures ... Named a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2007, George Town is officially recognised as having unique architectural and cultural townscapes without parallel anywhere in Asia.

Being here for quite a long period of time I kind of learned how to live like a local and deal with them. Although, they would still see me as a tourist, but that's just because i'm white.

Of course for the first couple of days, I've done some pretty touristy things, such as visiting the museum, going around the streets and taking pictures everywhere I go.
 So here is how I spent the first couple of days;
 I came to the hostel a bit late at night and I was tired so I went straight to bed, waking up very early in the morning I decided to rent a bike. the price for one day was 10RM only which is like 2 Euros 20 Dhs.



I had no idea where to go or what to do so I just kept cycling but don't get me wrong! I had a map!but I got lost at some point and gave up on it. so my pretty little red bike took me to the History museum which costed me 1RM  and that' like 2.5 Dhs, so cheap right?

Captain Francis Light
 It was interesting learning a bit of Georgetown's history  and how it was founded by Francis Light long story short , one king (of Keddah) offered Penang to Francis Light in exchange for military protection from some threatening tribes (Siamese and Burmese armies)  and since then Penang became a British possession in 1786 and Captain Francis Light helped estimating immigrates people from both India and China to settle down , work and build the cultural diversity we find now in Penang .
Long story short, Penang/Georgetown was founded by a British man called Francis Light.
Bridal bed on the Wedding Night

Malay Student Posing for my Photo
Traders

I past by Love Lane street which is a famous old street full of hostels and boutique houses to find myself in front of a Chocolate Museum!! they have all these kinds of chocolate flavors, I tried them all for free of course which is very cool! the worst chocolate I've ever tasted in my life was the Durian (fruit) flavored one..eww eww.. puke puke.. It tastes like a 3 days garbage. 




My next Stop was Esplanade. It is the heart of historical monuments from the British colonization. just sitting down by the sea side reading a book and taking nice pictures gave me a fresh breeze and I instantly fell in love with the place.


                   
  
A dreamer contemplating the beautiful view
                                     
An other dreamer enjoying his composure in this charming place  
Bengali Mosque/1803
Kapitan Kelling Mosque/19th century
Kapitan Kelling Mosque/19th century
St George Church/1818
Mahamariamman hindu Temple during the Indian new year 
Yap Kongsi Temple/1924



Fort Cornwallis
   Queen Victoria Memorial Clock 
City Hall
Cheon Fatt Tzi Mansion aka The Blue Mansion
Riding my Bike along the Esplanade sea side
I followed the long sea side until I stumbled upon a very nice place called the Chew Jetty Clan
The Chew Jetty is actually a whole settlement of wooden houses built on silts and the name “Chew” is the surname of the residences and that’s where the name was derived. Migrant’s families with this surname would live together in this area. These clusters of wooden houses were built by the Chinese poor immigrants who work near the port during the nineteen century.





As of today, It became one of the famous attractions in Georgetown, where you can buy small souvenirs and see the daily life of the families who still live there as you walk by their houses.
It is indeed one of my favorite places. How I captured the picture of the humble life they lead everyday made me realize that one should be grateful and accepting of whatever life has to offer.
these people allow the tourists to encroach on their daily routines, having no privacy with all their open doors  welcoming the breeze coming from the sea.





From The Chew Jetty Clan you can see the Penang Ferry  which  is the oldest ferry service in Malaysia.this It connects the Island with the main Land in Butterworth. The ferries are designed for vehicles to roll-on/roll-off. Some board pedestrian passengers on the upper deck and small vehicles (cars) on the lower deck, whereas some board vehicles on both decks. The benches for passengers on the upper decks have pivoting backs that can be flipped back and forth so passengers can sit facing in the direction of travel regardless of which way the ferry is going. 
                                     
A view from the Chew Jetty on teh Ferry

Leaving the Chew Jetty, I had no Idea where to go.. so I noticed some of the other bikers taking the same road, so I followed them like a lost puppy and VOILAAA I was in the middle of all these wall painting also known as Georgetown street Art concept created by the Lithuanian artist, Ernest Zacharevic during Georgetown Festival. and developed by several talented artists with different projects such as 101 Lost Kittens Project,Children At Play Mural,Ernest Zacharevic's Murals and so many others.

Skippy, the Giant Cat

102nd Cat

people taking pictures with Skippy the giant Cat
 "Take Time To Sit With Your Pet" Art Installation

"Little Children on a Bicycle" Mural

"The Giant Rat" Mural

We're just Fabulous

"Love Me Like Your Fortune Cat" Mural

This cute piece was hidden in an alley and was very hard to find
Penang is a big Island and I spent enough time to see a lot, it would be unfair to this beautiful city if I don't talk about all the unique attractions so I will definitely make an other entry about the rest of attractions and places I visited.
I had amazing time in this wonderful city, definitely helped me wander and wonder a lot through all the amazing experiences I've been through during the time I spent  here which I will talk about in details some other time.

Holiday in Penang will never be complete, if you do not take an old fashion ride in Penang trishaw

All the Pictures Are self taken. 

4 comments:

Unknown 23 January 2014 at 15:22  

It's really informative on how you describe Penang.

Unknown 23 January 2014 at 15:48  

Really wonderful and detailed post, like it a lot!! Take care ya~ ;)

Unknown 25 January 2014 at 17:30  

Keep it up ! I felt like I was there too

Anonymous 27 January 2014 at 03:05  

your post made me wanna make a blog like yours =) both the pictures and writing are beautiful !

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Wanderer Wonderer 2010. Blogger Theme by NymFont.